Empowering Today to Achieve a Better Tomorrow


Public Schools


History of the Mustang School District

Bus drivers stand with the five buses of the Mustang Public School system. 
The first school district meeting was on Sept. 1, 1902. A three-man school board was elected and a 20-mill tax levy was voted. They decided to begin an eight-month school term as soon as a school was available.
A schoolroom was created by removing a partition between two rooms in the Mustang State Bank building. Miss Etta Fisher was hired at $40 a month as the first teacher, and had 45 students that first year.
Lack of money and furniture delayed the start of school. The term finally began in mid-October 1902 and ended five-and-a-half months later. A two-room schoolhouse was built during the summer of 1903, in what is now the southeast corner of the MHS campus. The green building measured 24 feet by 70 feet. Grades 1-4 were taught in one room and grades 5-8 met in the other. A ninth grade class was added for the 1904-1905 school year, which lasted for eight months.
In 1920, the voters of Mustang School District and the four surrounding districts (Pleasant Hill, Shiloh, Center Valley and Cedar Creek) formed a union graded district. This meant grades 1-6 were taught in each of the outlying districts. Grades 7 and 8 joined Mustang students in the two-room Mustang school. Ninth graders were taught on the second floor of a store.
Mustang Schools first became accredited with the State Department of Education in 1920. A brick school was built to house grades 1-12. Mustang became an independent school district when its four-year high school was fully accredited. The first MHS graduating class was in 1924.